Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Should I or Shouldn’t I…??

     Ever since I found out about gastroparesis and that I had it…it’s been a hard thing to swallow…no pun intended there! ;-) You know how GP completely disrupts your life from even the littlest things like being able to get a cookie at the food court in the mall and not worry about having more pain and throwing it up! Or going out with your friends to a local restaurant or bar just to have fun…these are things I have not been able to do in a long time! Well, I am only able to eat on a VERY good day about 700 calories. Normal days I get about 300-400 calories! As of right now I am 114 pounds. I was 168 pounds a year ago! Which, a lot of people are saying it is great you lost all this weight...well yes, some of it, but not like this! I am amazed that I have not dropped weight faster…this might be because I have to take prednisone which makes you gain weight and I take Phenergan 25mg tabs every 6 hours. I throw-up even with that in my system! Anyways, the reason for this post is that the doctors want to put a jejunostomy feeding tube in me. The J-tube like most of you know is a tube inserted through the abdomen and into the jejunum (the second part of the small bowel) to assist with feeding and to provide me with nutrition and medicine if needed.  
      I am really not sure about getting the J-tube; because of how it looks…I know that sounds so shallow! Also, it can cause more problems like infections, pain, etc. But, it would give me the nutrition that my body really needs and I think it might help a little with energy…I just don’t know if I am at that point yet to “jump in” and get a feeding tube…I am continuously thinking about this and maybe through it might be good to share it here because I know it is a tough decision for anyone!
Here’s to Good Health!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment